While many of us may only get to enjoy this fantastic season in the comfort of our own houses, we could always bring spring inside our homes and on the table. I will share with you a few of my favourite salad recipes with some ingredients you can find in your garden. All of these recipes come in servings that is good for the whole family and, of course, with delicious honey dressing.
Recipe #1: Edible Spring Flower Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
A lovely salad that comes with beautiful edible flowers in sweet and tangy dressing ~YUM!
- 8 cups mixed salad leaves (e.g. baby spinach, baby rocket, baby endives, arugula)
- 1 cup edible flowers (e.g. violets, nasturtium, borage, marigolds, pansies)
- ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. raw, organic honey
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper.
- Prepare the dressing first by adding the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and My Dad’s Honey in a small jar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Close the lid tightly and shake well to combine all the ingredients. Set aside at room temperature.
- Thoroughly wash and dry the salad leaves and tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Remove the stems of the flowers and then gently wash.
- Place the leaves in a salad bowl and drizzle with the prepared dressing and toss to combine.
- Add the washed flowers and walnuts. Serve and enjoy a beautiful plate of salad! Note: You can add your choice of favourite soft cheese for added flavour.
Recipe #2: Veggie Spring Salad with Honey and Basil Dressing
A light, tasty and oh-so-healthy salad you’ll enjoy this season!
- 5 oz. bag of spring mix greens
- 2 cups broccoli sprouts
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 pcs radishes, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup spring peas
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. raw, organic honey
- 3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup light olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the dressing, add in a blender the basil leaves, My Dad’s Honey, lemon juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds.
- While blending, slowly pour the olive oil for the dressing to emulsify. Set aside to use later for the salad.
- To prepare the salad, blanch the peas first by bringing a small amount of water to a boil. When the water is boiling, add the spring peas and cook for a minute.
- While waiting for the peas to cook, place ice cubes with a small amount of cold water on a bowl.
- Remove the peas from the pot and transfer into the ice bath. Soak for 15-12 seconds. Set aside.
- In a salad bowl, add the spring mix first, followed by the broccoli sprouts and sliced vegetables.
- Add the toasted pumpkin seeds, blanched spring peas and lastly, the sliced avocado.
- Drizzle with the dressing and toss right before serving.
Recipe #3: Easy-to-Make Spring Salad with Bacon Crumble
This recipe is one a sure hit in our household because—BACON!
- 10 slices of smoked bacon
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- ½ green onion, chopped
- 2 cups seedless grapes, sliced
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp raw, organic honey
- First prepare the dressing by whisking in a bowl the mayonnaise, white wine vinegar and My Dad’s Honey, making sure the ingredients are well incorporated. Set aside or place in the fridge to use for later.
- Heat a large skillet and place the bacon slices and cook until golden. Remove the excess grease from the bacon and crumble. Set aside.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a large bowl and add the bacon crumble on top. Drizzle with the dressing and serve. Bon appétit!
I hope you enjoy these recipes with your family as much as we do. Happy Spring!